[coreboot] coreboot on s4882?

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 04:39:47 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM, David Melik <dchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again (Myles & everyone) for discussing coreboot for s4882 until I
> could compile & install.  After doing so, my s4882 just has a blank screen

Do you have a null-modem cable?  Did you see anything on the serial console?

> and continually does 2 alternating beeps (like a siren.)
The siren is the chipset complaining that its timer wasn't touched for
too long.  That sounds like an early problem.

> I saw no POST codes on coreboot.org.
I don't know where there's a list of them, but if you grep the source
for post_code you'll find some.

> I saved coreboot.rom and now have a
> Slackware pII system up (no coreboot) as well as a Windows 2.4GHz Athlon.
> What next?

What size is your coreboot.rom (ls -l)?  What size is your chip?
That's a frequent problem.  If you had to add another ROM, did you
prepend it?

Have you tried it with a warm reset?  It's a bit of a long shot, but
it can affect things sometimes.

> I only installed grub2 as payload; grub2 may not be the problem: IIRC, I
> included chainloader in grub2.elf: my '/' has LILO.  Coreboot.org has
> 'official grub' (grub2) and 'grub2' pages, which say different things,
> though they likely mean the same thing.
It is very unlikely that it is reaching the payload.  If you're
worried about that, use buildrom to build a payload.  Grub2 from
buildrom works well as long as you substitute ata for hd in the
grub.cfg.