[coreboot] ICH8 chipset among others

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue Feb 17 12:13:32 CET 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:11:06 +1000, Alan Jones <skyphyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
>>> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960
>>> Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
>>
>> Note that the chipset is 965 + ICH8. ICH8 is only the southbridge.
>
> Ahhh - thanks - I was wondering how to figure out north vs southbridge :)

We always love people willing to develop Intel platforms, because lack of
support from Intel, if that is your goal.

Also have you checked out the Intel website to see what datasheets and docs
are available for the 965 + ICH8?

>> Problem with the 965 is that no developer has both documentation and
>> free time to work on adding the support.
>>
>> Documentation is key for a new northbridge and Intel doesn't give it
>> out if we ask. :\
>
> I guess this means nobody has docs they could share? I've not done such
> low level coding, but I'm game to give it a swing if somebody is willing
> to do
> code reviews and answer stupid questions :)

Ahh, but that is what is so great coreboot, there is nothing low level
(Assembly) about it. It uses a high level language (C) to communicate
directly with hardware, no messy layers, a win win situation :-)

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org