[coreboot] FIDVID question

Dan Lykowski engineerguy3737 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 06:49:54 CET 2009

I have narrowed the resetting of my board to:

Referring to real_main in cache_as_ram.c for dbm690t and pistachio.
msr=rdmsr(0xc0010042); ( Reading the FIDVID_STAUS register )

According to the docs, trying to read this register on a processor that doesn't support FID/VID changes will cause a GP#.
I was under the assumption that all mobile 0Fh processors had this capability.
Would calling enable_fid_change() before the rdmsr call enable the MSR? ( I am skeptical because the code is working for other processors. )
Would it be appropriate to add a check around the FIDVID sections?

struct cpuid_result cpuid1;
cpuid1 = cpuid(0x8000007);
if( (cpuid1.edx & 0x06) == 0x06 ) {
}