[coreboot] FILO and SATA on 690/600

Dan Lykowski engineerguy3737 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 20:12:10 CET 2009

This is the section I am concerned about.
It is having trouble detecting my SATA Flash on the master port.

Waiting for ide0 to become ready for reset... ok

  Resetting ide0... ok

  Testing for hda

  ProbIDE: status=0x58, err=0x0

  Testing for hda

  ProbIDE: status=0x51, err=0x4

  MASTER CHECK: master no  /* slave */ -- drive is 0

  NO MASTER -- check slave!

The SATA flash has been really picky.
My first guess is that I think the IDE device register setup might be the problem.
I am trying to understand why IDE_DH_CHS/IDE_DH_LBA are named the way they are? The
bits being set by these macros are legacy for setting a sector size and
should always be set to 1-0 according to everything I have read. Using IDE_DH_LBA instead of IDE_DH_CHS would set the right bits.

Current FILO:
   cmd.device = IDE_DH_DEFAULT | IDE_DH_HEAD(0) | IDE_DH_CHS | info->slave;

Psedo code based on what Grub2 does:
   device_reg = 0xE0 | (slave)?slave_bits:master_bits

I believe this would be correct for FILO:
   cmd.device = IDE_DH_DEFAULT | IDE_DH_HEAD(0) | IDE_DH_LBA | info->slave

This of course is just a hunch at the moment. I won't be able to try it until Monday.

Thanks,
Dan Lykowski