[coreboot] 4 GB RAM failure on DBM690T target (690G/SB600)

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 20 14:03:19 CET 2009

On 17.01.2009 18:03, Marc Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using a slightly modified DBM690T target to boot my Asus M2A-VM
>> (690G/SB600) board.
>>
>> Booting with 4 GB RAM (2x2) into Linux fails with lots of ACPI errors
>> because the ACPI code for DBM690T hardcodes 1 GB of RAM and has the code
>> paths for >4 GB commented out.
>>
>> My attempts to fix this have been unsuccessful.
>>
>> Was the DBM690T ever tested with 4 GB RAM and did it boot into Linux?
>>

> No, It was not tested with that much RAM. The main reason is that it
> uses SoDIMMs and is meant for amobile package which would not need >
> 4GB.

2x2 GB DDR2 SODIMMs can be bought for a total of ~$50 now*
http://tinyurl.com/2x2gb-ddr2-800-sodimm* , so I believe we will see
embedded deployments with 4 GB RAM soon.
Unless I am misreading the ACPI code, the code path for >3 GB is disabled.

> I am suprised to hear that the ACPI code is hard coded to 1GB. It
> shouldn't be that hard to check TOM and TOM2 to put that information
> into the tables.

I'm not totally sure the ACPI code is hard coded to 1 GB. The default
values in the ACPI code code correspond to 1 GB and there is some code
which will calculate BIOS memory location from TOM and TOM2. I could not
find any place where TOM and TOM2 are updated, though. And the ACPI code
to handle nonzero TOM2 is disabled (when I tried to enable it, the ACPI
compiler complained that stuffing 64bit values into 32bit fields is not
allowed).

> What is the exact failure?

Lots of these:
ACPI Error (exregion-0164): Could not map memory at 0000000100000128,
size ED7 [20070126]
ACPI Exception (evregion-0420): AE_NO_MEMORY, Returned by Handler for
[SystemMemory] [20070126]
ACPI Exception (dswexec-0462): AE_NO_MEMORY, While resolving operands
for [LGreater] [20070126]
ACPI Error (psparse-0537): Method parse/execution failed
[\_SB_.PCI0.STCR.PMRY.PMST._STA] (Node ffff81013fa524f0), AE_NO_MEMORY

Full boot log is attached.

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/