[coreboot] GPLv2 vs GPLv3

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 22:48:19 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Joseph Smith<joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:54:58 -0700, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Joseph Smith<joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>> This has probably been discussed before but what are the pros and cons
>> of
>>> GPLv2 and GPLv3?
>>

>> let's not do that here. Just google the flame wars.  :-)
>>
> Sorry I didn't know it was a sensitive subject. I'm going to release some
> code soon, and I was just wondering which one to use.

If you have the time, I'd suggest that the best thing to do is to
carefully read the two, compare them, and then choose one yourself:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

If you'd like to hear from the architect of the licenses, RMS wrote a
letter encouraging projects to upgrade from v2 -> v3. You might find
it relevant: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.html

If you have special licensing needs or specific license questions,
remember that you can always drop a line to the friendly SFLC folks.
Their lawyers are very helpful at answering legal inquiries about Free
Software licensing and other related questions:
http://www.softwarefreedom.org/

Good luck!
--Robinson