[coreboot] [RFC] newbuild branch

Patrick Georgi patrick.georgi at coresystems.de
Thu Jul 30 21:05:04 CEST 2009

Hi,

As some of you might have noticed, there is a coreboot-v2-newbuild
branch in the repository. It contains the current state of an effort to
get coreboot v2 to build under kconfig/kbuild(-style) tools, which seems
to be universally accepted as a desirable goal.
(If you don't think so, please state your issues with that, so we
wouldn't waste too much time on this, kthx)

That work was done in a way that abuild is unaffected: except some minor
remaining issues with CONFIG_* prefixes, the source files are exactly
the same as upstream, and abuild ran successfully.
Two boards are Kconfig'd so far, QEmu and Kontron 986LCD-M, but there
are some remaining issues with the Kontron, so it doesn't boot yet. QEmu
builds and runs (but without CAR at this time, and that's deliberate to
have a test case for a romcc-board)

There are quite a lot of things to be done still, and many things are
not at the right location yet (eg. many configuration options reside in
src/Kconfig when there's a better place for them).
Should we push it to trunk now (given that it doesn't break abuild)?
Should we define a milestone that has to be completed (eg. a given set
of boards has to run)?

This is a request for comments, so... :)

Thanks,
Patrick