[coreboot] Builing Coreboot

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Jun 1 03:23:09 CEST 2009

Hi Ben,

audiossis at netspace.net.au wrote:
> My target system is a Clevo laptop

What Carl-Daniel wrote about embedded controllers applies. But since
you can recover, it might still be interesting to give it a go.

> (albeit I understand that the 82855PM/GM is still a work in progress)

I have met at least one person who has production 855 code, I will
get in touch with them if you find that current code is lacking.

> I know that I have to edit a configuration file to specify the
> payload I wish to use,

Yes.

> but I cannot find anything that tells me wether or not I have to
> configure Coreboot for the specific chipset on the target
> mainboard.

Carl-Daniel mentioned targets. This is the starting point when
building coreboot.

In the v2 tree, there is the targets/ directory. In there you find
all targets, grouped by vendor. There is no target for your exact
system, so find one that is as close as possible. One target which
uses 855 is digitallogic/adl855pc. To build that, you do:

cd targets
./buildtarget digitallogic/adl855pc
cd digitallogic/adl855pc/adl855pc
make

(you can also run make -C digitallogic/adl855pc/adl855pc and skip cd)

After those commands, you should have a coreboot.rom file.

The payload is specified in digitallogic/adl855pc/Config.lb, which is
parsed by buildtarget and used to create Makefiles underneath the
final leaf directory. If you change Config.lb, you have to re-run
buildtarget.

Note that buildtarget doesn't check for the payload, so you'll get
Makefiles which fail to build.

Then try booting coreboot.rom in your system. Chances are zero that
it will work, but if the laptop is a little similar to the
digitallogic, you may get serial output. Most likely you'll have to
change the superio though, in
src/mainboard/digitallogic/adl855pc/Config.lb to the superio which is
used in the laptop, before you get anything from the serial port.

//Peter