[coreboot] [Patch] CMOS: Add set_option and rework get_option.

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Jun 1 14:59:44 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 09:00:42PM -0400, ron minnich wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
> > The issues with using nvram:
> >
> >  * it's small and it leads to weird hacks to store data
> >
> >  * the coreboot layout conflicts with the vendor layout and it's a
> >    pain when switching between coreboot and factory bios
> >
> >  * the batteries frequently get old and nvram storage becomes flaky
>
> the big concern is having to rewrite a 64K flash page to change one
> bit. However!

It would require dedicating a flash page for the config, and it would
require using flashrom (or an equivalent) to change the config.  I
wouldn't worry about the flash wear - the config wont change
frequently.

[...]
> Or should we just store options as files in cbfs? That seems simplest.

That's a neat idea.  It's not very compact, but it would work well for
a handful of options.

If we went with a config file, I propose something very simple - like
text lines with "name=value\n".

-Kevin