[coreboot] Patch management

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Jun 1 18:16:20 CEST 2009

On 01.06.2009 15:31 Uhr, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Most of them, yes.
>
> I personally think our review/commit process is working very well. Sure,
> sometimes patches take a little longer to review/test, but that's not a
> problem of the process itself, it's simply because we have a limited
> number of developers with a limited amount of time.
>
> There is only one thing I suggest for improvement: if a patch doesn't
> reveice answers (review, test, ack, nack) after 2 weeks or so, the
> developer (or pretty much any user/developer on this list) should either
>
>  (a) Post a *ping* mail, maybe the patch was just not noticed or forgotten
>      and will then be swiftly reviewed/committed.
>
>  (b) Add a trac issue, containing the URL to the mailing list post of
>      the patch, so that it doesn't get forgotten.

  (c) If you think your patch is ignored / not handled properly, please
do send a separate mail to rminnich at gmail.com and/or
stepan at coresystems.de (maybe other core developers might want to offer
the same?) discussing the issue. This can significantly speed up the
process.
> Other than that, the process works just fine, and I strongly believe
> that adding _more_ (web-based or other) tools in the mix will make
> things worse, not better. We already have trac for issues, no need for
> more tools.

If you have a soup, adding 10 knifes does not solve the problem. And it
looks like there simply is no spoon for some problems.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613