[coreboot] Intel 8xx northbridge ram init is wrong

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Thu Jun 4 00:22:18 CEST 2009

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 18:11:42 +0200, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de>
wrote:

>> On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 18:00:53 +0200, Stefan Reinauer
> <stepan at coresystems.de>
>> wrote:

> reads
>>>>
>>> at

> the
>>>>

>>> Check the i945 code for an example on how to do it... older chipsets
>>> might/might not be different...
>>>

>> Would it be different for SDRAM vs DDR ?
>>

> You need a couple more steps (different MRS commands etc) for DDR, but
> the loop itself is basically the same.

Ok, I hope you don't mind but I have a few questions about how the i945
sdram_jedec_enable() does it?

Just to clarify, jedec seems to call it "banks" and Intel calls it "rows"
correct?

I don't really understand how you are calculating the bank address (BA or
bankaddr) which determines the row of memory to initialize, can you
logically explain it or do you have a good source you can point me too?

According to your for loop, it looks like you are running the set of
initialize commands 8 times? If the i945 has a max of 2 memory sockets
which means max of 4 rows, shouldn't this only run 4 times?

Also it doesn't look like there is a control structure in place to skip the
rows where no memory is found? Is that correct?

Sorry if these questions are silly, I am just trying to understand it.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org