[coreboot] [RFC] [flashrom] "accelerated" high-level external programmer functions and serial external programmer protocol

Urja Rannikko urjaman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 14:02:41 CEST 2009

> What about introducing a per-programmer delay function pointer instead?
> Your programmer could buffer everything (delays, writes) until the first
> read, then send them as a batch.

The only problem i see here that in order for this to work properly, i
would need to create the buffer on the programmer side (otherwise
there could be too big delays between the packets (even if streaming a
buffered store from the computer), eg. network packet loss) and i'm
not sure whether the AVR's 1k SRAM would be enough to hold even the
low level description of a single page load, given address + data = 4
bytes + 1 byte operation = 5*256 = 1280 bytes. ofcourse the addresses
could be "compressed" (sequential), but it still doesnt sound right -
even simple op+byte would be 512+ bytes. We could compress down to op
+ n + n bytes ... that could work. Not sure.

I sent this accidentally only to carl-daniel first, sorry.

--
urjaman