[coreboot] r4315, CBFS, supermicro H8DME -> boom

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Fri Jun 19 16:21:03 CEST 2009

So, yesterday I spent some quality time tracking down a rather odd issue I
saw with svn head (r4362):

  http://ward.vandewege.net/coreboot/h8dme/minicom-20090618b.cap

As you can see, coreboot somehow garbles serial output right after printing

  Clearing initial memory region: Done

and then finally soft resets after entering a CBFS stage:

  Stage: load @ 819200/28672 bytes, enter @ c8000

I tracked this down to r4315. Here's a boot log with r4315:

  http://ward.vandewege.net/coreboot/h8dme/minicom-20090618q.cap

And here's r4314, which works:

  http://ward.vandewege.net/coreboot/h8dme/minicom-20090618q.cap

The weird thing is that I don't have this problem on an h8dmr with K10 cpus
(though I'm still tracking down other issues there, so perhaps they mask this
problem), nor on an m57sli with a dual core AM2 CPU.

I talked to Patrick (the author of r4315) about this yesterday on IRC, and he
said he could not reproduce this on SimNow with amd/serengeti_cheetah.

So, if anyone has thoughts on what might be causing this, they would be very
welcome :)

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator