[coreboot] [RFC] Mailing list and IRC split

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Jun 24 15:03:40 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:50:01PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Although the list traffic has not yet reached linux-kernel levels, it is
> already too much to read in full. I hope splitting the lists will allow
> people to concentrate on their personal area of interest and also
> encourage more reviews. After all, if you have to read less mails, you
> can respond to more of them.

ACK, several other developers have expressed they'd like to split off
flashrom into an extra list.

> One issue to solve is how we want to handle flashrom success/failure
> reports sent to flashrom at coreboot.org. Right now they end up on an
> unmoderated private list. After the change, they'd get a message that
> the list is moderated.

Fine with me. As discussed in the past I think it's crucial that this stuff
is public (and no, I don't give a shit about spam. I also don't think
any users who are willing to send reports will refrain from doing so
just because their email may become public that way).

Maybe there could be a filter like "the mail has to start with [flashrom]
otherwise it'll be moderated" or so? Can this be done with stock mailman?
Those mails would go in unmoderated, all others be moderated.

Anyway, this is no requirement, we can go ahead and make a new list
even without the above setup.

> a nice moderation message, possibly mentioning that emergency help
> for broken flash is available on IRC.

Yes, definately.

> The suggested way forward is outlined below:
> 1. Register #flashrom on irc.freenode.net (done)

1.5: Document it on the flashrom page and on coreboot.org/IRC.

> 2. Invite parties interested in flashrom to join #flashrom besides
> #coreboot.
> 3. Pre-Announce the mailing list split with the following text:
> "coreboot at coreboot.org will be split in two lists. flashrom at coreboot.org
> is where flashrom development and usage will be discussed.
> coreboot at coreboot.org will carry all traffic not related to flashrom.
> coreboot at coreboot.org list members will be subscribed automatically to
> flashrom at coreboot.org. If you are only interested in either coreboot or
> flashrom, feel free to unsubscribe from either list once the split is done."

Looks good. Moving over all current subscribers is very important IMO.
Everyone is of course free to unsubscribe if wanted.

Uwe.