[coreboot] Is PI-AM2RS780G supported ?

Alois Schlögl alois.schloegl at tugraz.at
Tue Jun 30 08:41:54 CEST 2009

Peter Stuge wrote:
> Hi Alois,
>
> I first want to say that I agree with kernel people that this is a
> BIOS issue.
>
> Alois Schlögl wrote:
>> I'm wondering whether coreboot will work in my machine.
>
> Not coreboot, but flashrom looks good.
>
>> Found chip "Winbond W25x80" (1024 KB) at physical address 0xfff00000.
>
> The BIOS update you linked to in kernel bugzilla,
> http://us.sapphiretech.com/drivers/78SAPV09_20090522_4854.zip,
> contains a BIOS from May, with upgrades from AGESA (this is a BIOS
> library from AMD) 3.3.2.0 to 3.3.2.3. I don't know if this will fix
> the problem you are seeing.
>
> You could update your BIOS using flashrom and the 78SAPV09.BIN file
> in that zip. Run flashrom -E to erase your flash chip and then
> flashrom -wv 78SAPV09.BIN to program and verify the new BIOS.
>
> Ideally you should have a restore method before trying this. flashrom
> -E if it works will erase the flash chip completely. If you have a
> power outage at that point the system will not start again and the
> flash chip must be reprogrammed somewhere/somehow else, or the
> mainboard replaced.
>

> //Peter

Hi Peter,

thanks for this hint. I tried it,

flashrom -E says:

$ sudo flashrom -E
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
No coreboot table found.
Found chipset "ATI(AMD) SB700", enabling flash write... OK.
Found chip "Winbond W25x80" (1024 KB) at physical address 0xfff00000.
Erasing flash chip... FAILED!
ERROR at 0x00100000: Expected=0xff, Read=0x00

My first thought was to reboot the machine, and see whether there is a
bios setting the protected the flash from writing. Thankfully, I checked
first the content of the bios with
  flashrom -r bios.1
and the bios was empty.

I think the error message "Erasing flash chip... FAILED!" is misleading,
because the bios was already erased.

Flashing the bios was no problem.

$ sudo flashrom -wv 78SAPV09.BIN
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
No coreboot table found.
Found chipset "ATI(AMD) SB700", enabling flash write... OK.
Found chip "Winbond W25x80" (1024 KB) at physical address 0xfff00000.
Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
Erasing flash before programming... done.
Programming flash................................ done.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

Thanks,

   Alois