[coreboot] Ram disk and compressed kernel...

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue Jun 30 13:34:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Rick Ant <rick_077 at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Sorry about the 512Kbytes questions, i'm interested with this matter...
> Anybody has an experience on how to use coreboot and RAMdisk ?
> my idea is
> coreboot is running for the first time creating ramdisk, alike with
liveCD
> for linux then copy the kernel to ramdisk, i saw a system with 256Kbytes
> running X-server, i'm sure it's using RAMdisk...or maybe other method ?
>
> coreboot--->creating ramdisk-->copy kernel to Ramdisk...

Ramdisk does not necessarily mean it is all running from flash. I just
means the OS is copied to memory and executed from there. The OS could get
copied to ram from any storage media(flash, hard drive, cd-rom, floppy,
etc). Almost all embedded Linux OS's run in a ramdisk.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org