[coreboot] Flashrom problems on SB600

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Mar 17 00:22:43 CET 2009

On 17.03.2009 00:02, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Tiago Marques wrote:
>
>> Why hasn't this patch been merged yet, it seems pretty
>> strightforward.
>>

> The heuristic nature worries me. I would much prefer to learn that I
> suck because I couldn't find the SB600 register which says whether
> system booted from SPI or LPC flash, but I doubt it'll happen.
>
> Sorry for holding it up. I completely agree that flashrom should
> just work<tm> also on SB600, but I also want to solve problems as
> neatly as possible and this was a bit tricky because it is new.
>
> I am thinking that maybe SB600 SPI support could use the flashrom
> plugin interface (which does not exist yet) and require explicit
> enabling. We discussed explicit options back when the patch was
> created, and I do want to add an option to select plugin when the
> plugin interface is available. I think it would fit SB600 SPI well.

Can't we just rely on the SPI/LPC selection register to be unchanged
after boot? If someone deliberately changes that register, he/she sure
is capable of adding code to handle it in flashrom. The average user
shouldn't have an undue burden just because some hardcode hardware
hacker _may_ mess with some registers.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--