[coreboot] seabios failure with v2 and -fomit-frame-pointer

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 20:41:10 CET 2009

-fomit-frame-pointer makes seabios fail with v2.  I'd like to
understand the reason why we want it enabled and how we can fix it.

Thanks,
Myles

from gcc:

       -fomit-frame-pointer
           Don’t keep the frame pointer in a register for functions that don’t
           need one.  This avoids the instructions to save, set up and restore
           frame pointers; it also makes an extra register available in many
           functions.  It also makes debugging impossible on some machines.

           On some machines, such as the VAX, this flag has no effect, because
           the standard calling sequence automatically handles the frame
           pointer and nothing is saved by pretending it doesn’t exist.  The
           machine-description macro "FRAME_POINTER_REQUIRED" controls whether
           a target machine supports this flag.

           Enabled at levels -O, -O2, -O3, -Os.