[coreboot] Dell latitude c610

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue Mar 31 00:27:26 CEST 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:26:42 +0200, Michal Janke <m.yankee at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to give coreboot a try, but am not sure how difficult that
> would be. So far, I could see that flashrom and superiotool detect my
> chips as supported (outputs attached). Could someone give me a hint as
> to how much work would it require to get coreboot running? How
> probable you people think it is to work anyway?
> As far as the bios chip is concerned, I've checked that it is PLCC32
> type, soldered - but I can make it socketed if I know it worth trying.
> Looks like there's enough space to solder a socket :)
> I also attach logs with some system information I believe to be
> important. Can also send a picture of the bios chip if someone finds
> this to be important.

Hello, Looks like an i830 chipset laptop. I would love to see coreboot
running on an i830 chipset laptop. I wrote the i830 code (with lots of help
from everyone here:-) ) and would be glad to help in any way that I can.
Looks like the first thing is to get your SMSC LPC47N252 SuperIO working.
Most of the SMSC LPC47* are closely related from a programming stand point.
I think everything else is supported by coreboot. The only concerns I have
is with the graphics (LCD) and battery charging. See:
http://www.coreboot.org/Laptop
If your willing to give it a go, I woud be glad to support you any way I
can. If you want some base code to start with you can use the RCA RM4100
(i830 based set-top-box). Hope that helps.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org