[coreboot] CBFS transition plan

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Wed May 6 03:47:53 CEST 2009

I'm referring to the cost if CBFS can be sparse.  I'm also referring to the
number of scans required for some hardware.  My Opteron boxes have many
onboard devices, so there are 20+ CBFS scans.

> I did modify SeaBIOS so that option roms scans are much faster.  (The
> cost is now negligible.)  I accomplished this by ending the file scan
> if a signature of zeros is found.

That only works if CBFS files are contiguous.

> I don't think caching the list of files in the flash will work well -
> even one brute force scan will take too much time on large flash
> chips.  Instead, I think CBFS needs to have an orderly layout of files
> which doesn't require users to do a brute force scan.
>
> I think there's a simple way to accomplish this - have cbfstool create
> "null" files that contain all the empty space.  Then the users of cbfs
> (eg, coreboot, seabios) wouldn't need any special code - they would
> skip them just like they skip over any other file.

I could see that working.  It was zero-fill in v3 lar.

Thanks,
Myles