[coreboot] fix for cbfs error for longer file names

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu May 14 02:14:09 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> I think it makes more sense to just not care until flash write time,
> at which point the flash writing software should understand cbfs and
> do the right thing<tm> for the flash chip at hand.

There is a real problem with that magic flashrom approach. cbfs has
some notion of what should be 0x00 and what should be "space not yet
used". "space not yet used" can be anything. Space that should be 0x00
MUST be 0x00. The simplest example is the null termination for a file
name. It has to be zero. But there is no reason to set the whole file
name area to 0 -- it could just as well be 0xff.

CBFS is best equipped to make the distinction. I'm not comfortable
with having flashrom try to guess.

ron