[coreboot] fix for cbfs error for longer file names

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu May 14 03:37:01 CEST 2009

ron minnich wrote:
> There is a real problem with that magic flashrom approach.

Maybe we are talking across each other.

I thought you meant that cbfs should decide on a fixed filename size
which would be flash chip friendly wrt erase block sizes.

I mean to say that cbfstool doesn't know what is useful. Only the
flashing tool does.

> cbfs has some notion of what should be 0x00 and what should be "space
> not yet used". "space not yet used" can be anything. Space that
> should be 0x00 MUST be 0x00. The simplest example is the null
> termination for a file name. It has to be zero. But there is no
> reason to set the whole file name area to 0 -- it could just as
> well be 0xff.
> CBFS is best equipped to make the distinction. I'm not comfortable
> with having flashrom try to guess.

Right, that's not what I was saying at all. Sorry for the confusion.
Things such as the filename must be speced so that the flashing tool
knows how to interpret the cbfs contents correctly, and juggle
everything around, if neccessary, to suit the flash chip.

//Peter