[coreboot] libpayload: OHCI stack

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Mon Oct 5 11:03:57 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:56:07AM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 05.10.2009 10:45, Daniel Mack wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:30:39AM +0200, Patrick Georgi wrote:
> >
> >> If so, I'd assume that's the primary user of USB functionality in
> >> libpayload, and we could stuff the OHCI code there - but using the
> >> libpayload interfaces, so the code changes were really small (basically,
> >> changes to the build system)
> >>
> >> That way, libpayload stays "pure", while this can still be used where it
> >> doesn't trouble anyone.
> >>

> > Following the recent discussion about USB keyboard support in SeaBIOS I
> > thought putting everything which all payloads share is the right thing
> > to do, no? Wouldn't we end up having clones of that stack appearing in
> > other payloads if we don't put it in a common place?
> >

> Yes. The reason we had Leandro Dorileo write that thing from scratch was
> to get a BSD licensed USB stack. Otherwise we'd just have merged/adapted
> the USB stack from U-Boot or Linux. It's unfortunate that this piece of
> information never reached you.

In fact, we did talk about that. However, I read the LICENSES file and
thought that dual-licenced code for different parts of the lib is ok.
(You can't GPL'ize pure BSD code either).

And taking into account how much work it was to port and debug the other
stack it would probably have been the same efford to write it from
scratch.

And - just to clarify that - I didn't want to take away any workpackage
from anyone. I just couldn't wait any longer as we urgently needed the
code for a device which goes to production these days.

Daniel