[coreboot] Solution to: filo build failure: get_multiboot_info is undefined

Ken.Fuchs at bench.com Ken.Fuchs at bench.com
Fri Sep 25 22:42:55 CEST 2009

Ken Fuchs wrote:

> Summary of the error:

>   LD      build/filo

/home/fuchsk/coreboot/filo/build/libpayload/lib/libpayload.a(sysinfo.o):
\
> In function `lib_get_sysinfo':
> sysinfo.c:(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `get_multiboot_info'
> make: *** [/home/fuchsk/coreboot/filo/build/filo] Error 1
> $

--- Summary ---

libpayload was simply missing the CONFIG_MULTIBOOT option.

Replace "make defconfig" with "make menuconfig" in
<http://www.coreboot.org/FILO>.
Make them create the same configuration when no explicit option is
selected in "make menuconfig" on fresh source code.

--- Details ---

libpayload was simply missing the CONFIG_MULTIBOOT option.

"make defconfig" clears this option.  Whereas, "make menuconfig" with
_no_
selections sets it (on a fresh source code extraction).

The FILO instructions <http://www.coreboot.org/FILO> say in part ...

 $ cd libpayload
 $ make defconfig        <========== replace with "make menuconfig"
 $ make
 $ make DESTDIR=../build install
 $ cd ..

 $ make menuconfig

Making no selections in either libpayload or filo results in the build
failure
quoted above.

I understand that in the "make menuconfig", one is expected to make some
changes
to the configuration and sometimes they need to match the libpayload
configuration.
However, the instructions should also result in no build errors when
_no_ explicit
configuration changes where made to either software package.  This is
currently
not the case.

This may seem trivial, but most people don't expect to see build errors
when
they carefully follow the instructions and make only selections that are
explicit
within the instructions.

I also noticed that the following two invocations have different effect
on a
fresh extraction of either the libpayload or filo source code when it
seems
they should have the same effect:

$ make defconfig

$ make menuconfig
<Save config without making any (new) selections.>

Arguably, both the above make invocations should result in the same
configuration.
If not, I'd conclude that the configuration system has a trivial flaw,
but we'd
prefer to have no flaws at all.

------

I'm very impressed by the new build system and coreboot.org web site.
Both have
improved immensely over the past 4-5 years.  Commercial BIOS vendors are
no doubt
green with envy.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs