[coreboot] Coreboot on ARM? (was: Re: Coreboot or UEFI, who will be the winner.)

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Sep 29 23:45:20 CEST 2009

Peter Stuge wrote:
> Ken.Fuchs at bench.com wrote:
>
>> I suggest that coreboot designers look at how U-Boot is designed,
>>

> I understand that at least previous versions of U-Boot were not so
> nice to look at.
>
> I did discuss with Denx about running the non-hardware-specific part
> of U-Boot as a payload. They were not uninterested.

There is a new, Denx-independent branch of u-boot from Pengutronix which
we've been using on custom ARM based hardware: u-boot v2.

It has a few less features, but a considerably nicer design. And, the
Pengutronix folks seemed very interested to see it happen as a coreboot
payload. I think this would be a real improvement for both projects,
coreboot (nice and slim, standardized user interface, could replace
FILO) as well as u-boot (access to the x86 world without re-implementing
the wheel).

I had this on my TODO, but there's been too much other stuff so far. Yet
I would love to see this happen. Maybe we get the momentum together?

All the best,
Stefan