[coreboot] password

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Fri Apr 9 16:12:28 CEST 2010

On Thursday 08 April 2010 20:45:34 ron minnich wrote:
> I have a lenovo x300 somebody set the password on and ... as you guess,
>  forgot.
As Rudof suggested, you can probably use the master password for recovery if
it works.

Otherwise I recommend for such situations the cmospwd utility from cgsecurity
(also pretty well know for their testdisk utility). As far I used the cmospwd
utility it worked like a charm.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

> So, question: anyone have any idea how deep into the machine the
> password is kept no new machines? Deep in TPM?
I think it's most likely stored in CMOS/EEPROM, but the solutions on that goal
varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

> in other words, were flashrom to work on this box, can the password be
>  reset?
Try to use the tool mentioned above, I had until now always success with that.

> ron
Harald