[coreboot] i840 coreboot challenge

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue Apr 27 16:17:51 CEST 2010

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:01:28 -0400, Keith Hui <buurin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I want to propose a "coreboot challenge" to first port coreboot to the
>>> i840 chpset, second port coreboot to support a very rare i840 dual cpu
>>> board, third instead of RAMBUS (which i840 is designed for) this board
>>> uses SDRAM. I think this would be a very interesting port for coreboot.
>>>
>>> The board is a AMI Megatrends MegaDual. The user manual can be found
>>> here: http://www.ami.com/support/doc/MegaDual_mb_man.PDF
>>>
>>> I have four of these rare boards and am willing to donate three of them
>>> (one person each, less shipping costs of course) to anyone who is
>>> willing to take on this challenge. Let me know if your interested.
>>>

> Sounds like some sort of reference board for workstations/servers.
>
> i840+SDRAM means this board has one or two MTHs. This is going to be
epic.

Yes it should be interesting :-)

> (No I won't be able to attempt it - I still have 440BX and SIS630ET in
> my pipeline.)

That's OK Keith. I actually have allot of other i8xx boards that are a
higher priority than this one. I knew I was not going to be able to get to
it for a while that is why I am offering up my 3 spare boards for free so
others could hack along if they want.

I am actually suprised no one has jumped for the oppritunity to get a free
motherboard.

I do have a few SIS 630's kicking around so I will be looking forward to
your work on that :-)

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org