[coreboot] Buying a new mainboard. Which vendors support coreboot?

Niklas Cholmkvist towardsoss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 15:43:22 CET 2010

Hi again,.

Jonathan wrote:
> What makes you think the open source ATI drivers aren't
> any good?
I'm not saying they are not good. If I didn't have an appreciation for
free libre or open source software I would have another idea of what
'good' means for me. What bothers me(although I'm not sure if you
understand why) though is some graphics microcode that AMD or ATI
doesn't want to release, possibly because it will spoil some Digital
Rights Management(DRM) technology that they have. Maybe I am mistaken
and they have released some of the "microcode" for some of their
integrated graphics cards?(if you know please tell) I don't know if you
consider "secret microcode" an issue. Also I just read about that this
"microcode" has not been released and I found the reference on an
AMD/ATI forum.
I'm not 100% that Intel has released the "microcode" for their G43
chipset.
So you can supply arguments(if you wish to help me with this) that
microcode isn't an important issue or find a reference that Intel
doesn't release their G43 graphics "microcode" either.

> AFAICT they're doing pretty well these days.
Any specific card? If yes, compare it to integrated Intel GMA
G43("X4500")

Regards,
Niklas