[coreboot] RFC: Coreboot support of SFI

Michael Cassaniti m.cassaniti at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 08:58:51 CET 2010

Hi All,
After seeing a Request For Comments previously in the mailing list, I
thought I might add my own.

I am curious to know if it worth while for the coreboot project to support
the Simple Firmware Interface. A quick Google search should be all you need.
I am under the impression that SFI and ACPI could become KConfig style
options for coreboot, allowing the end user to choose if SFI or ACPI should
be built into coreboot.

The only other question remaining is what would be missing to run Linux
unhindered on systems using SFI? Having a quick look, I don't see too much
missing. SFI seems simple enough to make available to other (non-x86)
platforms for new firmware.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Michael