[coreboot] Test SeaBIOS AHCI support

Scott Duplichan scott at notabs.org
Fri Dec 31 17:43:17 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:21:32AM -0600, Scott Duplichan wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> Thanks a lot. Is this native 16-bit AHCI support that doesn't rely on an option rom?

]It's native AHCI DMA support.  (No option rom needed.)

]-Kevin

That is great to hear. Some HP notebooks have this capability, but
I know of no others. This setup should allow cutting seconds from
Windows boot time because Windows spends lots of time on IDE drives
that are not installed. If all IDE devices are disabled and only
AHCI visible, Windows can boot a lot faster.

I made an initial test using coreboot+seabios on an AMD RS780/SB700
system. So far it is not detecting the drives. But this test required
hacking in code to disable the SB700 IDE device and switch the SATA
device from IDE mode to AHCI mode. I have not yet checked to see if
that code is even working correctly. I will continue debugging this
in a day or two.

Thanks,
Scott