[coreboot] dell server BIOS setting insanity

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Feb 1 11:01:23 CET 2010

On 2/1/10 5:51 AM, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Ward Vandewege wrote:
>
>> 300 of those machines - with quad core CPUs. They show up as dual
>> core until he goes into the BIOS and changes the setting. That's
>> also the 'official' solution for the problem from the Dell rep.
>>
> Ask him to come to IRC. If really lucky it will be faster to create a
> program for it. But my guess is that it will be quicker to walk
> around and change the setting.

That program might already exist: nvramtool

Usage: nvramtool [-y LAYOUT_FILE | -t] PARAMETER ...
[..]
-b OUTPUT_FILE: Dump CMOS memory contents to file.
-B INPUT_FILE: Write file contents to CMOS memory.
-x: Show hex dump of CMOS memory.
-X DUMPFILE: Show hex dump of CMOS dumpfile.
[..]

Change the setting on one machine, dump CMOS to a file, and write that
CMOS file back on the other machines.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613