[coreboot] [RFC] ASSERT

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Feb 22 15:54:08 CET 2010

On 2/22/10 1:56 PM, Joseph Smith wrote:
> I use die in raminit for memory compatibility checks. If the memory is not
> compatible, there is no use moving on...so we die().

I agree... to some extent...

The file I posted does not change the explicit die() calls though but
only the implicit die() in the two macros ASSERT and BUG.

As for memory compatibility, I saw the same thing on i945 - it does not
support ECC RAM and some closed source BIOSes just die() in the case of
ECC memory detected. However, it is possible to use the memory in
non-ECC mode, so not using die() might still be worth thinking about in
such a case. Worst case ram init does not work and then coreboot die()s
automatically when it tries jumping to stage 2 in RAM. It should,
however, always print a big fat BIOS_ERR warning in that case.

Stefan