[coreboot] Dell Optiplex GX150 Bios

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 13:13:46 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 4:32 AM, CHRIS PITZER <dogstarr at q.com> wrote:
> My old Dell Optiplex GX150 Mini-Tower has Dell A11 Bios. The maximum RAM the
> system will support is 512MB-The system won't boot if more that 512MB is
> added to the "two" RAM slots (Memory Error....). During a chat with the Dell
> online community I was told that the computer's hardware won't support more
> than 512MB of RAM. I did some research on the individual motherboard
> components and have come to believe that the Dell A11 Bios are limiting the
> RAM but, I'm not sure. I would like to Flash different Bios that allow for
> adding more RAM and give me greater control over the CPU. Coreboot does not
> list my motherboard but does list the individual chips except for my
> specific Northbridge which is an Intel 815 chipset. My board "SCI28-R13"
> contains: "northbridge" Intel 82815, "Southbridge" Intel 82801 BA/BAM,
> "Super I/O" NSC PC87364, and the "CPU" is an Intel Pentium III 686. Will
> coreboot work with my computer? Will I be able to add more RAM if I flash
> coreboot? And if so, can someone hold my hand and walk me through the
> process so I don't turn my Dell into a boat anchor?
>

> --

Hello!
As it happens I am quite familiar with that model. Sadly Dell TS is
quite correct. But it isn't their BIOS who is at fault, it is the
chipset who is. It is an Intel 810 one.

While the respective Super IO is well known to us, the chipset for the
other features may not be. This might end up being an entirely new
port, and depending on how much information is available regarding the
chipset you would be able to do so. I suggest that you provide us with
a complete display of these features. The website contains complete
instructions on doing so, as does the archives for the list.

But the rest of the list will respond accordingly.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
"This signature fought the Time Wars again and again."