[coreboot] PATCH: Fix CMOS Tables support for all boards.

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 00:17:29 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Stefan Reinauer
<stefan.reinauer at coresystems.de> wrote:

>>> That's odd.  I don't see that warning.  Does it have to do with
>>> parallel compilation and insufficient dependency checking?  Which
>>> boards have the warning?
>> http://qa.coreboot.org/log_buildbrd.php?revision=5657&device=dbm690t&vendor=amd&num=2
>>
>> option_table.h doesn't get generated until way down the list (after
>> the warnings)  It looks like the first board that needs this:
>>
>>  HOSTCC     coreboot-builds/sharedutils/options/build_opt_tbl
>>
>> And the rest of the build doesn't wait for it.
>
> This sure looks like a race... question is, what do we do about it?
> Force an early build of option_table.h outside of the normal dependency
> system?
I don't know what the best fix is.  The problem is the building of the
tool, so abuild could just build the tool before building any boards.
We could also create option_table.h as part of the configure process.

> Why does gcc only print a warning instead of an error here? Are those
> #includes not needed at all?

USE_OPTION_TABLE defaults to false.  HAVE_OPTION_TABLE triggers the
#include so that the options get defined.  If you select
USE_OPTION_TABLE and create the race condition, gcc will error out.

Steps to exercise the race condition for the curious:

rm -rf build
make oldconfig
make -j4

Thanks,