[coreboot] Serial Console only starts after reset

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue Jun 15 16:07:06 CEST 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:39:25 +0200, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de>
wrote:
> On 6/15/10 2:25 PM, Joseph Smith wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:13:24 +0200, Stefan Reinauer
>> <stefan.reinauer at coresystems.de> wrote:

When

>>> turns

>>> the

>> power

>>> superio/smsc/smscsuperio.

>>> Your Super IO chip is not initialized correctly. Compare the register
>>> output after reset and from cold start.
>>>
>> You mean with superiotool?
>>

> That might already be too late
>
>>> Did you run the same coreboot image already when you pressed the reset
>>> button, or did you initially boot with the BIOS?
>>>

>> Yes, same coreboot image.
>>

> So booting Linux fixes the issue? Does serial console in linux work on a
> cold boot?

I don't think there is really a issue. The post card spins through all the
post codes just fine, vga starts up and it boots into Linux just fine. When
I cold boot it, if I hit the reset button before Linux starts, it restarts
with coreboot serial console just fine. I have not tried Linux serial
console mode yet. I think something wrong is happening at the early_serial
point. I wonder if it could be a SB gpio or SB PM event to wake the serial
port? The devices on the LPC47M102 do support PM wake-up events, So I
wonder if it is related?

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org