[coreboot] Re unsuported Motherboard

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 15:19:03 CET 2010

>     For programmer it would probably be simplest to use another
>     mainboard which is compatible with flashrom.
>
> Can we remove BIOS with the machine turned on? Meaning: We boot with the
> good one, we remove it, we insert the second machine chip and flash it.
> Does it work?
Yes.  This link has pictures of the pushpin method.  It works very well for
PLCC, which are pictured.

http://www.coreboot.org/Developer_Manual/Tools#Chip_removal_tools

The downside is that it will take a long time to try a new design, since you
will have to boot the machine to Linux, flash the new design, and reboot.
Having another machine that is already up will save a lot of time.

> About the compatibility, I have a motherboard with a socket that has a
> award BIOS, is the chip/socket the same for AMI? Are they compatible?
Any BIOS vendor could use any type of chip.  Unfortunately, that won't help
you figure it out.

Thanks,
Myles