[coreboot] GSoC 2010

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 18:12:33 CET 2010

As a project, I'd still like to see someone try the "serialice as
bootblock" and see how it goes.

Let me explain. At the meeting in 2006, we decided it would be nice to
have an "all is lost" mode wherein we'd flash a new image from the
serial port. I still like this idea. I think serialice would be the
foundation of this capability.

If a given mainboard could be extended to include the basic commands
for flashing, then we could experiment with this model. Coreboot would
need to be modified, mainly to allow it to be loaded into
lower-than-top-64k, but we do this already: it's called the "normal"
build.

I think all the bits are there, they just need assembly. This model
would be *ideal* for me on the Dell cluster, even better than the old
normal/fallback model.

Not well defined, I realize, but I'd be happy to mentor someone who
wanted to give this a try.

ron