[coreboot] "How come it's so slow?"

Cristi Magherusan Cristi.Magherusan at net.utcluj.ro
Mon Mar 8 21:33:34 CET 2010

Hi,

I noticed that the HP DL380 servers that I've been working with lately
wait a random amount of time before running the BIOS (up to 120sec) so
that if you boot up many machines at the same time they won't have the
power spikes at the same time when starting the fans and the disks.

Still, the BIOS itself is quite slow too, taking quite a lot of time,
especially when it initializes the RAID controllers. I didn't measure it
but it may be even more than a minute, including all the delays that can
be skipped if you press Escape.

Regards,
Cristi

--
Cristi Măgherușan, System/Network Engineer
Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania