[coreboot] [commit] r5286 - ...

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Mar 26 00:16:21 CET 2010

>> > The biggest worry for me is incorrect execution.  If it doesn't
>> compile
>> > when
>> > it breaks, then that's a good thing.
>>
>> It will probably _work_ with current GCC and no whole-program stuff,
>> but how do you *know* it does?  Better to just fix it.
>
> I misunderstood you.  I thought you were saying that it wouldn't compile
> if
> you used those options, but that it would work otherwise.

If you use whole-program optimisation, it will not even compile, indeed.
If you do _not_ use whole-program optimisation, it will compile, and
likely even work -- but no guarantees.  The "workaround" correct code
isn't very hard or expensive, best to use that.

It is a pity that GCC cannot detect all problems in your code, but that
is equivalent to solving the halting problem (_and_ reading your mind ;-) ).

Segher