[coreboot] computers with Coreboot BIOS

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Sat May 1 20:58:57 CEST 2010

On 05/01/2010 10:12 AM, bari wrote:
> Joseph Smith wrote:
>
>>> <<<<
>>> Free BIOS (Coreboot, etc.): ---------------------------
>>> Our
>>> computers are not yet available with a Free BIOS, but we are very
>>> interested in offering that option in the future. We can build systems
>>> with Coreboot as the BIOS, but there will be some limitations as to
>>> certain video cards (ATI for 3D), processors, motherboards, memory,
>>> WiFi, and other areas as well. Please write us if you are interested.
>>
>> Yes that is good news Pete. I don't really get the part about
>> "limitations" though, why would those
>> items have "limitations"?
>>
> They probably meant that since there are no modern Intel chipsets or
> CPU's currently supported by coreboot that this will be limited to AMD
> only. Plus AMD DDR3 support is only ~1 week old.

Yeah, your probably right. But the way it is worded implies major
limitations. I would think if a vendor was going to offer coreboot as an
alternative solution, they would spend some time developing coreboot to
work 100% on their product.

Anyways it is a good start to see coreboot offered as an alternative.
Maybe other PC vendors will catch on :-)

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org