[coreboot] #164: Building Coreboot v4 r5555/5554 fails mysteriously on Debian lenny and etch (x86)

coreboot svn at coreboot.org
Sat May 15 11:29:52 CEST 2010

#164: Building Coreboot  v4 r5555/5554 fails mysteriously on Debian lenny and
etch (x86)
    Reporter:  juhe@…       |         Owner:  stepan@…
        Type:  defect       |        Status:  new
   Component:  coreboot     |      Keywords:  makefile, debian
Dependencies:               |   Patchstatus:  there is no patch
 I am trying to build Coreboot v4 from SVN with default settings, but I get
 build failures. The build environment is Debian Linux on x86.

 Process goes as follows:
 {{{
 - check out coreboot trunk from SVN as per wiki instructions
 - run "make menuconfig", select QEMU hardware (default), ROM size either
 256K or 1M
 - run "make":
 }}}
 {{{
 coreboot.r5554$ make
     HOSTCC     util/romcc/romcc (this may take a while)
     ROMCC      mainboard/emulation/qemu-x86/bootblock.inc
     GEN        bootblock/bootblock.c
     CC         mainboard/emulation/qemu-x86/bootblock.s
     CC         mainboard/emulation/qemu-x86/bootblock.o
     GEN        bootblock/ldscript.ld
     LINK       bootblock.elf
     OBJCOPY    coreboot.bootblock
     HOSTCC     cbfstool/common.o
 [..cut..]
     HOSTCC     util/options/build_opt_tbl
     OPTION     option_table.h
     GEN        build.h
     ROMCC      romstage.inc
     GEN        romstage/crt0.S
     CC         mainboard/emulation/qemu-x86/crt0.s
     CC         mainboard/emulation/qemu-x86/crt0.initobj.o
 make: *** No rule to make target `/optbuild/lib/uart8250.initobj.o',
 needed by `build/coreboot.romstage'.  Stop.
 }}}

 I have tried this on two separate Debian/lenny machines with the same
 results. Is Debian somehow broken or Coreboot build scripts? Or am I
 making some mistake? What is this directory /optbuild and why coreboot
 build is trying to create/access it? I tried to grep "optbuild" from the
 sources, but it does not seem to exist there.

 Trying the same on Debian/etch (older release):
 {{{
 % make
 mkdir: cannot create directory `/optbuild': Permission denied
 mkdir: cannot create directory `/optbuild': Permission denied
 mkdir: cannot create directory `/optbuild': Permission denied
 mkdir: cannot create directory `/optbuild': Permission denied
 mkdir: cannot create directory `/optbuild': Permission denied
 mkdir: cannot create directory `/optbuild': Permission denied
 mkdir: cannot create directory `/optbuild': Permission denied
     ROMCC      mainboard/emulation/qemu-x86/bootblock.inc
     GEN        bootblock/bootblock.c
     CC         mainboard/emulation/qemu-x86/bootblock.s
     CC         mainboard/emulation/qemu-x86/bootblock.o
     GEN        bootblock/ldscript.ld
     LINK       bootblock.elf
 collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
 make: *** [build/bootblock.elf] Error 1
 }}}
 This looks like broken ld in Debian, or something going wrong in the build
 process.

--
Ticket URL: <https://tracker.coreboot.org/trac/coreboot/ticket/164>
coreboot <http://www.coreboot.org/>