[coreboot] Advice how to install Linux to get it working with FILO

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed May 19 17:47:37 CEST 2010

Joop Boonen wrote:
> I have the follwoing partitioning.
> 1) /boot about 128 MB
> 2) swap about 2 GB
> 3) /root about 60GB
> 4) /home about 20GB
>
> Is this OK

That's fine.

> or is there also a track maximum for FILO like existed for LILO?

Not that I know of.

> Is it best to configure FILO with grub commands?

Personally I strongly prefer USE_GRUB=0 (is it CONFIG_GRUB=0 in
current FILO?) because I just don't like the regular GRUB. :)

It doesn't matter how you configure, but keep in mind that while FILO
uses GRUB syntax in the GRUB mode, it does use FILO device naming.
Note also that FILO device naming is different from Linux device
naming, even if the names happen to be the same.

The kernel would be hd*1:/bzImage or somesuch. That corresponds to
/boot/bzImage in the running system.

//Peter