[coreboot] Geode db800 vs Wyse S50

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue May 25 18:01:29 CEST 2010

Oliver Schinagl wrote:
> > I think Linux will need VSA to be happy though.
>
> There isn't a way to excract the VSA from a running linux on the
> system is there?

Try using flashrom to read the BIOS image. Then you could try using
bios_extract to take it apart, and you should get a VSA image. Not
redistributable, but should work for you.

> So if I would use setpci; i'd be actually changing things within
> the VSA; Hmm ... I was hoping I could use setpci to enable the IDE
> controller...

There's also some firmware interaction there. And if you're unlucky,
there's a special limitation in VSA about the controller.

> > Drivers that understand GeodeLink directly (such as the X graphics
> > driver) do not need the PCI compat stuff.
>
> Kinda makes sense, as the GPU is built in anyway; what about
> Net/Audio devices?

Audio is built-in, same situation as for graphics. VSA needed for
legacy compatibility, but I believe BSD at least has a native driver
for it.

> They would have regular PCI connections on the chips so the Geode
> would need some form of PCI connector for those devices and connect
> that then tot he geodelink?

That's basically how it works. A PCI-compatible bus is created with
help from the CS553x companion chip.

> How about extracting the bios using /dev/iomem + /dev/mem such as
> mentioned ont he Obtaining a VGA Bios wiki page?

Try flashrom+bios_extract first, ideally it'll also get you the VGA
BIOS, which you must have since VESA graphics works.

//Peter