[coreboot] First coreboot build for Tyan s2895 K8WE mobo with seabios payload, computer starts, but graphical ubuntu 64bits is crashing

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Thu Sep 16 23:16:12 CEST 2010

Hello Frederic,

I'm sorry to get a bit "rude" in my answer, but here is what I want to say:

"crashing on Ubuntu logo"
Oh, that's really a nice description of what happens. No way to tell you
what's the problem with your bios, without a more detailed error output.

And yes you couldn't see a lot on your screen before booting Ubuntu, because
coreboot is fast.

My advice as a next step would be:
Try to get an error log which is useful. Means, turn off the graphical stuff of
Ubuntu, get a serial console, and a decent log of the failing boot process.

Everything else will be a guessing around without a good chance to track the
problem.

BTW: That's one of the reasons why I don't like Ubuntu, people don't learn any
more how kernel/boot messages look like, how much information is in there and
how to interpret those messages. "Crashing Ubuntu logo" - This is as stupid as
the new Ubuntu splash screen which indicates a loading bar, but at the end of
the bar it starts in the beginning once again. There is not even a chance to
guess in which part of booting problems occur.
The same bars come around in Windows Vista/7 and iTunes setup and so on. But
who whats to have a loading bar which does say exactly nothing? It seems that
too much stuff gets just eye candy and showing the user that something is
happening without any interesting information.

Oh, once again sorry. But such things have the power to get me upset. ;)

Kind regards,
Harald