[coreboot] Advice on how to approach porting old hardware?

Shane Norris norlesh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 15:28:16 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I would like to re-task a bunch of Hyundai w152 thin clients with on
board XGA screens (circa 2003) running on Geode SCx200 (SC2200
specifically) SOC which according to the supported chip-sets page
hasn't been tested since back in coreboot v1.

My questions:

Would I be better off starting with the old v1 code base and back
porting the PC87360 Super IO code (which is in the v4 code base) or
start from v4 code base and bring the scx200 code forward?
	and
Given that the scx200 product lines have been retired would working on
v4 support for them benefit anyone else besides myself?

I have 12 of these (plus a 13th I sacrificed so I can trace the
motherboard connections to the CPU) so am willing to put a bit of work
into doing the board support for my own purposes but I can't really
see anyone else using the port in the future considering the hardware
is all but extinct.

>From the hind site of of somebody who is all ready familiar with the
coreboot code what would be the shortest route for me to get these
things booting under my control?

The important parts of the system are:
 NSC Geode sc2200 cpu/SoC,
 NSC PC87360 SuperIO,
 SST 39SF020A 2 Mbit flash (with XpressROM installed)
 M-Systems MD-2811-032-v3 DiskOnChip (with Windows CE.Net 4.1 installed),
 64MB ram module

Thanks in advance for your input
 -regards Shane Norris