[coreboot] Coreboot on Atom N550

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 04:27:37 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Stefan Reinauer
<stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org> wrote:
> * Joesph Czerniak <joseph.czerniak at gmail.com> [110411 22:22]:
>> Hi,
>> I bought the HP 5103 netbook. I was wondering if coreboot would run on it. It
>> has the following specs:
>>
>> Here are the quick specs (the more detailed specs are at the bottom):
>>
>> CPU: Intel Atom N550 with an integrated northbridge
>> Southbridge: Intel N10/ICH 7
>> SuperIO: SMSC FDC37B72x
>>
>> So on your motherboard page, the closest motherboard I could find is the Intel
>> D945GCLF. So I found the Kconfig file and thought a good way to start would be
>> to modify it. It has:
>>     select CPU_INTEL_SOCKET_441
>>     select NORTHBRIDGE_INTEL_I945GC
>>     select SOUTHBRIDGE_INTEL_I82801GX
>>     select SUPERIO_SMSC_LPC47M15X
>>
>> Should I start by modifying these four lines? Then compile and flash?
>>
>> The socket for the N550 is the Intel Socket 437. Does coreboot support that?
>>
>> The other question I had was about the northbridge. Since its integrated into
>> the CPU, should I remove that line? Or can I keep it in?
>
> The N10/NM10 northbridge is unsupported by coreboot as of now. You will
> have to write support for that in order to get coreboot working on your
> system.
>
> Stefan

The NM10 isn't the northbridge, it's the southbridge, and all it is is
an ICH7 with one different PCI ID. The northbridge is integrated into
the Atom CPU, and it's VERY different from the i945 (don't bother
trying it, it won't work). Although public datasheets are available,
the Bios Porting Guides for the Atom N500 and D400/500 series are
covered under Intel NDA.

-Corey