[coreboot] Belkin Direct Connect USB 2.0

Jonathan A. Kollasch jakllsch at kollasch.net
Tue Dec 13 19:03:56 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 06:27:15PM +0100, nap wrote:
> on the  following two ASUS motherboard:
>         P5QPL-AM (uATX, socket 755, G31)
>         PZKPL-CM (uATX, socket 755, G41)
>     To have a debug access, as the two MB have a serial port, this way
> is available (not yet tested), but I wonder about the usability of the
> following Belkin product "Direct Connect USB 2.0" ( marketed as a laptop
> accessory) as a EHCI debug port device like the NET20DC, as new boxes
> mostly don't have a serial port, even an Ethernet port for some
> (wireless only), but at least a USB 2.0 port.
>     I have not found any technical info on the web, including the Belkin
> website.
>     Anybody has some info about it, even a way to test it ?

I've played with a Prolific PL-25A1 based data link cable, they almost
could work for a device similar to a debug class device that would have
to be supported by special drivers on the machine to be debugged. However,
the chip acts in a way that prevents it from actually being useful.

(The chip will reattach on one end when the other end is plugged in, and
sometimes manages to force the far end into non-high-speed mode long
enough to confuse things.)

	Jonathan Kollasch