[coreboot] searching volunteer to install coreboot on asus m4a78 pro

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Sat Feb 12 19:53:49 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:32:54AM -0700, Marc Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM, xdrudis <xdrudis at tinet.cat> wrote:
> ;;;
>
> >> * AMD Athlon II X4 615e support
> >
> > I have a Phenom II X4 910e
> > Looks quite similar. Yours is revision RB_C3 also, I think?
> >
> > I found fidvid.c did not suppport this version and coreboot
> > hanged while setting frequency and voltage of the CPU.
> > I've apparently fixed it but I have a 1600 lines patch,
> > and I really should see how to break it up in chunks that
> > can be reasonably reviewed . In fact for fidvid.c itself
> > the patch is bigger than the file. I hope I can do something
> > this weekend to break into decent patches...
>
> It would be good to see this. The AMD BKDG has changed with regard to
> the VID setup since the code was added. I think that dual PVI works
> well, but SVI is suspect in my recent review of it. They two are not
> as different as once indicated.

My board is SVI, and I've tried to bring it to comply a little
more with Fam10 Bios and Kernel Development Guide #31116,
rev 3.48, April 22, 2010 . I hope it's the correct version.

There are still lots of FIXMEs, some paranoid checks and
possibly some errors for any other hardware but mine. I even
removed (with #if 0) a little code I couldn't make any sense with the
documentation, I hope it doesn't break much.

> The fid shouldn't require too much change. There are some features
> that are not supported, but nothing that should prevent booting at
> maxfid.

I basically found it only worked for revision B, but now I don't
remember whether it was fid or vid. One of the hangs seemed to be
the CPU refusing to go into a pstate out of limits and coreboot
waiting infinetely for the CPU to get to that pstate.

I also don't know how much of what I've changed was really necessary,
at a certain point I just got tired of random changes and decided
to implement as much of the BKDG as I could and try again. Maybe
some thing are in BKDG but are not really necessary for booting.

I'm attaching the monster. But I'm splitting it into many smaller
patches, so it may be easier to read. So you may want to wait.

> > My board still doesn't boot though. It currently gets to
> > ram stage and hangs while enabling pci devices. It's similar
> > to a problem I found in romstage and I worked around it with
> > a patch that wasn't probably the right approach (it wasn't commited).
> > This time I'll have to see what's causing it (likely that I have
> > an RX781, not an RS780, it's more or less the same without
> > graphics, but I may have to tweak something somehow).
>
> This should be a matter of getting your lspci and the devicetree to
> match up. If there is no graphics, you will need to remove that and
> also look for any uma stuff that might be left around.

I tried to match lspci and devicetree.cb, but I may have got it wrong.
 I didn't know that uma could hang a pci read. It basically works
for pci devices, but once it gets to where the external graphics card
should be (00:02.0) it hangs there.

src/southbridge/amd/rs780/rs780.c
 static u32 get_vid_did(device_t dev)

I haven't looked much into it. I wanted to send the fidvid changes
before I forget (more).