[coreboot] searching volunteer to install coreboot on asus m4a78 pro

Marc Jones marcj303 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:11:51 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:53 AM, xdrudis <xdrudis at tinet.cat> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:32:54AM -0700, Marc Jones wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM, xdrudis <xdrudis at tinet.cat> wrote:
>> ;;;

>> > I have a Phenom II X4 910e
>> > Looks quite similar. Yours is revision RB_C3 also, I think?
>> >
>> > I found fidvid.c did not suppport this version and coreboot
>> > hanged while setting frequency and voltage of the CPU.
>> > I've apparently fixed it but I have a 1600 lines patch,
>> > and I really should see how to break it up in chunks that
>> > can be reasonably reviewed . In fact for fidvid.c itself
>> > the patch is bigger than the file. I hope I can do something
>> > this weekend to break into decent patches...
>>
>> It would be good to see this. The AMD BKDG has changed with regard to
>> the VID setup since the code was added. I think that dual PVI works
>> well, but SVI is suspect in my recent review of it. They two are not
>> as different as once indicated.
>>

> My board is SVI, and I've tried to bring it to comply a little
> more with Fam10 Bios and Kernel Development Guide #31116,
> rev 3.48, April 22, 2010 . I hope it's the correct version.
>
> There are still lots of FIXMEs, some paranoid checks and
> possibly some errors for any other hardware but mine. I even
> removed (with #if 0) a little code I couldn't make any sense with the
> documentation, I hope it doesn't break much.
>
>> The fid shouldn't require too much change. There are some features
>> that are not supported, but nothing that should prevent booting at
>> maxfid.
>>

> I basically found it only worked for revision B, but now I don't
> remember whether it was fid or vid. One of the hangs seemed to be
> the CPU refusing to go into a pstate out of limits and coreboot
> waiting infinetely for the CPU to get to that pstate.
>
> I also don't know how much of what I've changed was really necessary,
> at a certain point I just got tired of random changes and decided
> to implement as much of the BKDG as I could and try again. Maybe
> some thing are in BKDG but are not really necessary for booting.
>
> I'm attaching the monster. But I'm splitting it into many smaller
> patches, so it may be easier to read. So you may want to wait.

This is great. I see several key changes that should help SVI. I'll
look for the smaller patches. They will be easier to work through.

>> > My board still doesn't boot though. It currently gets to
>> > ram stage and hangs while enabling pci devices. It's similar
>> > to a problem I found in romstage and I worked around it with
>> > a patch that wasn't probably the right approach (it wasn't commited).
>> > This time I'll have to see what's causing it (likely that I have
>> > an RX781, not an RS780, it's more or less the same without
>> > graphics, but I may have to tweak something somehow).
>>
>> This should be a matter of getting your lspci and the devicetree to
>> match up. If there is no graphics, you will need to remove that and
>> also look for any uma stuff that might be left around.
>>

> I tried to match lspci and devicetree.cb, but I may have got it wrong.
>  I didn't know that uma could hang a pci read. It basically works
> for pci devices, but once it gets to where the external graphics card
> should be (00:02.0) it hangs there.

This may be a 780 PCIe config issue. It can be set to a number of
different configurations for links and lanes. You'll want to take a
look at the 780 RPR section 5.5 to start. Settings from the vendor
BIOS should also help you understand how it is connected.

Marc

--
http://se-eng.com