[coreboot] question: Is it possible for OS to initialize the memory

Alex G. mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 23:43:38 CET 2011

AFAIK, the controller needs to initialise all channels at once. Worse
yet, if you only have two slots, chances are those are on the same
channel, so commands intended for the first dimm will unavoidably reach
the second dimm. You would need to stop the MC for this to happen. You
lose all the tables left by the BIOS in the memory.

That, and there's no reason you'd want to do this. If you had a board
with several sockets, you could theoretically initialize MCs on
application processors independently, but it's too much unnecessary work
IMO.

It's unfeasible and impractical, but if you still want information on
this, the BKDG is your bible.

Alex